Let’s face it, after the year we’ve had, mothers of all ages deserve an extra special treat this year!
Whether they’ve been juggling home-schooling and work or coping with the isolation that lockdown brings, there’s never been a better time to show our appreciation to the mums (and surrogate mums) in our lives.
Please see Mother’s Day as a chance to help small businesses survive the pandemic.
Since launching My Virtual Neighbourhood almost a year ago, we’ve added thousands of London’s small businesses and have selected our favourites for one exclusive list of brilliant independent stores to buy gifts from. You can browse the full list here.
When you shop local you help to preserve the character and individuality of communities and more of the money you spend stays in local economies.
Our list covers everything – from gorgeous chocs and pampering gifts to things to treasure forever – and something a little cheeky.
Here, without further ado, is our top 10 list of small London businesses to buy from this Mother’s Day. They all deliver UK-wide.
1. Dandy Star. This gorgeous East London shop sells super cool, stylish and unique fashion, books, homeware, accessories and kids’ stuff. Local Buyers Club members save 10%.
2. Outlandish Creations, Earlsfield. This shop makes us chuckle – beautiful china cups and saucers and teapots painted traditionally with flowers and, in delicate font, rude words like ‘cock.’ Their salt and pepper shakers are pretty special too! Local Buyers Club members save 10%. www.outlandishcreations.com
3. Know and Love, Hackney. A collection of beautifully handcrafted gifts and homewares. Most are locally-sourced, eco-friendly and socially responsible. They have amazing chocolate from Bethnal Green, baskets from Clapton, pamper gifts, candles from Walthamstow and herbal tea grown in Hackney! Local Buyers Club members save 10%. www.knowandlove.co.uk
4. Scamp & Dude, Highgate. We love this brand – matching outfits for mums and kids! Bright, playful and full of fun. www.scampanddude.com
5. Carv London. This independent artisan leather accessories brand oozes quality and class. Handmade in Hackney Wick, using centuries-old skills and A-grade British and Italian vegetable tanned leather, these bags are beautiful and timeless. Local Buyers Club members save 10%. www.carvlondon.com
6. Ince Umbrellas. This is the UK’s oldest umbrella manufacturer – this fab company, founded in 1805, have survived two world wars and now a global pandemic! They handcraft umbrellas using traditional skills – they’re super special. We have one and absolutely love it! Local Buyers Club members save 10%. www.shop.inceumbrellas.co.uk
7. Lucy Lynch, East Dulwich. Let’s face it – much of our socialising this year is taking place outside! This small retailer offers beautiful shawls and pashminas, picnic rugs and much more. Local Buyers Club members save 10% on orders over £100. www.lucy-lynch.co.uk
8. Rogue Opera, Balham. Now this is something different! Treat your mum to a night at the opera (or lots of nights at the opera) at home and help support performers through the pandemic. This amazing company works with talented opera singers and offers subscriptions or VIP gift memberships. Savings offered to Local Buyers Club members. www.rogueopera.co.uk
9. Curious Tea, Battersea. Tasty teas and stylish tea ware. We love their glass and bamboo tea infuser mugs. These guys are specialist tea merchants, sourcing single origin teas from around the world. They also offer tea subscriptions. www.curioustea.com
10. Lady Cacao, Dalston. Delivers UK-wide.
Chocolatier Annamarie (AKA Lady Cacao) has worked with some of the world’s most prestigious brands, from Rococo to Dallmann – now she produces her own exquisite chocolates. Local Buyers Club members save 10%. www.ladycacao.uk
About My Virtual Neighbourhood
My Virtual Neighbourhood launched in March 2020 during the first lockdown – since then it’s had hundreds of thousands of hits, has been praised by the likes of Jay Rayner and has become the shop-local platform for Wandsworth, Hackney and Camden councils, with more joining soon. It has become the main source of online referrals for many small businesses in London and listings are free, with an option for a premium listing to gain more exposure.
Find out which independent businesses near you are open or delivering to your community: Click HERE to find your virtual neighbourhood
Please sign up to our mailing list for local updates and free entry to our £100 prize draw: CLICK HERE
Please share this article using the links below: